Ethically sustainable by default. Building trust in data use and data-driven technologies requires strong respect for human rights, and transparency, reliability and the inclusion of all stakeholders. Data security and privacy by design should be integral parts of business and service development practices.
Trust is created and maintained by
- clear responsibilities for data management
- easily understandable digital services and products
- transparency (e.g. traceability, explainability, interpretability) of algorithms as well as autonomous and intelligent systems
- traceability (e.g. logs) and security when processing data throughout data lifecycles
- use of new technologies and mechanisms that build trust in decentralised data-sharing networks (e.g. blockchain)
- establishment of accountability for intended and unintended consequences of gathering, processing and using data